Tuesday, October 27, 2020

Epistle / Based on Psalm 137:1-4 / Emailed to Hudson UMC on August 28, 2020

 

2020-08-28 Daily Church Epistle

 

Darci here.  I was contemplating my remote worship experience and the following psalm verses came to mind.

 

Psalm 137:1-4 (CEB)

1 Alongside Babylon’s streams,

    there we sat down,

    crying because we remembered Zion.

2 We hung our lyres up

    in the trees there

3     because that’s where our captors asked us to sing;

    our tormentors requested songs of joy:

    “Sing us a song about Zion!” they said.

4 But how could we possibly sing

    the Lord’s song on foreign soil?

 

Now and then COVID-19 has felt like a captor.  I am careful of how I expose myself to others because my husband is in a memory care unit and the whole unit is high risk for a severe reaction.  I have a grandson with underlying conditions that could make this virus much worse for him.  My extra level of caution has caused me to choose not to worship with members of the congregation in our church sanctuary even though in-person worship is available now.

 

My home could feel like “foreign soil” for a worship experience, yet it has been my main location for worship for quite a long time. 

 

My husband, Mike, is on a journey with Alzheimer’s Disease.  While he was still living with me, one struggle we had was Mike not wanting to leave the house on Sunday morning.  Sometimes the church live broadcast would be available, and I could worship with you from home.  Sometimes it would not, but I could still read the sermons online.  With Mike at home I could not attend Bible study or take part in music ministry very often.

 

Fast forward to summer of 2019.  Mike moved into a memory care home where he could have 7X24 hour care.  At the same time, my father’s health failed and caused me to miss most Sundays with you still!  I did join a Bible study and even started leading one before my father ended his earthly journey.  The day after his funeral we went into COVID-19 lockdown.

 

Was I feeling crazy and frustrated and like my worship was under attack?  Yes, a little bit.  Yet my relationship to God felt strong.

 

God provided.  Where the remote worship had been off and on before COVID-19, it now became solid as an incredible podcast.  We have two different zoom prayer services, Sunday morning at 9:15 and Wednesday evening at 7:00.  I am active in a Bible study via zoom.  I am participating in music ministry from my home by recording my songs and sending them in.  For the first time in years I can be on worship committee again!  All because our church leadership has realized we can sing the Lord’s song wherever we are.  We still have our voice.

 

Of course, I wish there were no pandemic and I was not a captive in my home.  I cannot have that wish.  I choose to focus on the blessing of being able to sing my songs and worship my Lord from my kitchen table or even sometimes before getting out of bed since the podcast is posted before I get up on Sundays.  I know we are reaching people online that would not have found us otherwise.  I feel connected and loved by my church family even though I rarely see anyone face-to-face.

 

We have expanded worship and grown during this time.  Two zoom prayer services, two live services, a podcast, an emailed sermon, a broadcast on local TV, and good old USPS of the bulletin and sermon being sent out to those who need it.  That makes me think of yet another scripture.

 

Romans 8:35-39 (CEB)

35 Who will separate us from Christ’s love? Will we be separated by trouble, or distress, or harassment, or famine, or nakedness, or danger, or sword? 36 As it is written,

 

We are being put to death all day long for your sake.

    We are treated like sheep for slaughter.

 

37 But in all these things we win a sweeping victory through the one who loved us. 38 I’m convinced that nothing can separate us from God’s love in Christ Jesus our Lord: not death or life, not angels or rulers, not present things or future things, not powers 39 or height or depth, or any other thing that is created.

 

I could add to that list at the end, not Alzheimer’s and not COVID-19!  We are more than conquerors.  We can thrive.  God is with us wherever we are.

 

Wherever you are this day, I hope you feel God’s love surround you.  If you have a connection to the Internet either from a computer or a smart phone, I hope you consider joining in worship with us via zoom.  The podcast worship experience is meaningful, and I hope those that do not feel comfortable gathering in the sanctuary will join me in watching it weekly.  If you do not have access to, or are uncomfortable with technology, make sure to reach out to the church office and get on the mailing list to receive the sermon and bulletin in your mailbox.

 

You are reading these words, so you already know about the Daily Church Epistle!

 

We are the church.  Nothing can separate us from God’s love.  Our song can be sung to God wherever we are. 

 

Tuesday’s reading in Disciplines was on Moses and the burning bush.  The prayer from that day speaks to my thoughts so I am going to have us close with it.

 

God, help me recognize that where I am standing, right now and in each moment, is holy ground so that I will be ready to hear you call my name.  Amen.

 

Beams and blessings to you each!

No comments:

Post a Comment