Tuesday, October 27, 2020

Epistle / Based on Philippians 4:6-7 / Emailed to Hudson UMC on October 9, 2020

 

2020-10-09 Daily Church Epistle

 

Hello Church Family!  Happy Friday to you each!  Darci here.

 

I do not know if this happens to you, but sometimes the same message hits me multiple times as if God is trying to get my attention.  This was one of those weeks.

 

I read the Bible passage from the Upper Room Disciplines Book of Daily Devotions for today and this passage called out to me:

 

Philippians 4:6 “Do not be anxious about anything but in every situation, by prayer and petition, with thanksgiving, present your requests to God.” 

 

Paul goes on to remind us we should be thinking about all the good things of God instead.

 

Our Wednesday morning Bible study had us reading 1 Peter 5:7, “Cast all your anxiety on him because he cares for you.”

 

Did I mention I have been feeling anxious lately?  God noticed and sent a reminder from two different sources.  As I read today’s Discipline reading it seemed God was picking up my anxiety level and giving me a clear message.  “Trust me. I am here for you.  I care about you.”  I can even hear a gentle, “Turn it over to me please.”

 

Our current small group study is called “Finding God Faithful.”  We are finishing session 5 of 8 this week.  Now the question is, am I getting the message?  Or as my younger friends say, “Are you picking up what I am putting down?”  Do I believe God is faithful?

 

I have been staying away from the TV because the ads and news make me tense.  Even the weather made me tense last week because I am a gardener and frost warnings call for plant protection. I have much in my life that is out of my hands to control.  I am a “planner”, and the unknown has always made me anxious.

 

The scripture today’s devotion and in my study reading this week both remind me I do not need to hang on to those anxious thoughts.  God invites me to turn it over to Him!  Let go and let God.

 

The next verse in Philippians is:

Philippians 4:7 “And the peace of God, which transcends all understanding, will guard your hearts and minds in Christ Jesus.” 

 

Woah!  Turning my anxiety over to God will give me peace?  That sounds wonderful.  I am all in!  Now my challenge is whether I can do it.

 

A favorite praise song came to mind as a third reminder.

“I cast all my cares upon you.

I lay all of my burdens down at your feet

And anytime I don’t know what to do

I cast all my cares upon you”

 

How have you been?  Have you felt unsettled and anxious?  Just maybe this is my Friday to write to you because these scriptures are meant for you as well as me.  Come to God by prayer and petition, with thanksgiving, and lay those thoughts at his feet. Surrender is never easy, but it is the step we need to complete before we can float on God’s grace and feel that peace Peter promised.

 

Thank you loving God for your compassion and love for me.  Help me to let you take control of those parts of my life that cause anxiety.  I am weak but thou art strong.  I seek your peace.  I praise your holy name.  Amen

No comments:

Post a Comment